Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

After our great adventures in Boston and Salem, we started heading west but had several more interesting stops to make.  We left the Boston area and traveled about 40 miles to Springfield, MA.  The Naismith National Basketball Hall of Fame was interesting to both Tom and me.  

I loved finding a Yopper honored there.  Tom Izzo was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year-notice he was born in Iron Mountain, MI.   



There were several fun displays and here are some of my favorites.


I learned how to dunk a basketball-with a little help from the hoop setup.


Tom and I had a little game on the demonstration floor.


Tom enjoyed seeing the players from the past who he had watched.

Basketball was invented by James Naismith in an attempt to have a physical activity for energetic boys during the winter. His game was played with peach baskets for nets.  There were only 13 rules for the game. The popularity of the game grew quickly.  Naismith eventually became athletic director at University of Kansas and is honored there with the Naismith Athletic Center and Naismith Alumni Center.  I was at University of Kansas for special training while teaching at Caledonia.  When I went there, I didn't know that Kansas was a basketball powerhouse but I quickly got brought up to speed once I got on campus.

After two fun hours at the Hall of Fame, we started for Ohio.  The thought of spending the night with our daughter and son-in-law propelled us across five states-Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. We arrived in Canton in time to catch the last few innings of the Indians-Cubs game.  The whole state of Ohio was so excited about the World Series and outfitted in Indians apparel.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma C. Nason Children's Home

Living on the Ridge

New Home But An Old Table