Never a Surprise to God

It has been nearly two weeks since we received the phone call with Tom’s test results telling us that his biopsy came back showing cancer.  One week has passed since we shared the news publicly. 

Telling everyone was difficult.  How do you find the words to say such a thing?

Tom chose to be public with his news. 

A good friend who has taken the cancer journey before us recommended a CaringBridges page.  She found the comments from loved ones very helpful as she faced her treatments.   We are using this blog and Facebook instead of CaringBridges but the effect is the same. 

Tom and I have been overwhelmed with the response of family, friends-both near and far.  Current friends and those we have lost touch with over the years.  We’ve heard from our pastor and Faith Bible Church family,  classmates, friends from our life in Florida, a former co-worker of Eric’s from his time in Minneapolis.  The notes from all of you have been incredibly helpful and strength building. 

We have heard from South Carolina, Florida, Minnesota, Ohio, California.  Our son-in-law’s family in India has reached out with support that includes prayers at the temple, notes and even a phone call. 

Here is a sampling of what we are hearing. 

Prayers for successful surgery and healing. Know that there will be many praying and supporting you through this journey. Love you...
Like · Reply · 1 · April 25 at 8:02pm

Prayers going out for you, your family and the doctors involved, thank you for sharing and giving us the opportunity...Tom!

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Tom keep focusing on our Lord. I thought that my cancer was the end of my life, but God was with me. That was 14 years ago and I am here now to pray for you and your family.

Please keep me up dated. Yes life as you knew it will be no more. But there is hope & there will be a new normal. This is a real faith tester. Don't give satan any opportunity to set up a strong hold. You rebuke him out loud at any weak spot. I'll be your spiritual cheerleader. Love you guys.

hello aunty, i came to know about tom uncle today. i know its very late in the night there but i could no longer wait and so i am messaging you. aunty i want you to know to know that we all are with you in this difficult time, not physically, but definitely mentally. i have a very firm belief and faith that uncle will fight out and emerge healthier. god never puts us in a a situation we cannot handle and we are never alone, he always guides us.

Cheerleaders-that’s what you have become to us.  Keeping our thoughts positive and focused on God. 

I received a card today from a dear long-time friend.  She said, “It probably is a good thing we don’t know ahead of time what God has planned from for us, but also good that it is never a surprise to Him.

Another dear friend send us a book, “Praying Through Cancer”.  It had been helpful to her during her cancer journey.  It is a devotional book written by two cancer survivors.  The first day the author said,

“God, the Creator of the Universe, the Almighty One, the Lord of heaven and earth, knew the ‘way’-the journey I was starting on.  That meant He wasn’t surprised (although I certainly was) and had already begun to prepare all that I would need along the way.  My loving purposeful Father had factored cancer into His plan for me long before I was aware of it.”

These words along with all that we are hearing from you are helping us as we start this journey.  A surprise to us but not a surprise to God. 

This week's update.  We have 2 appointments for pre-op checkups this week.  If all goes well surgery is next Tuesday, May 9 at 7:30 am.



Top of Form

Comments

  1. Thanks for writing all this out for us, Brenda! What a comfort to know that God walks with us through the dark valleys of life! We are praying night and day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for setting this up. I have met you briefly at HS reunions and at a coffee gathering one evening a long time ago, it seems. I know Tom, of course, from our time at Caledonia High School. We were a small enough class that everyone knew each other and we were a close class, I think, in many ways. Growing up in Caledonia we shared the same values of hard work and getting along. I am sure these early values will pull your family through this very difficult and scary time. Please know that we all care and will be there with you. I shall be thinking of you all next week. God Bless. Jacqie Babcock (I don't know how to designate myself in this system...none of the categories fit, so I picked anonymous....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this news, Tom and Brenda. We will definitely be praying. When my husband went through prostate cancer 10 years ago, someone told us about the book, "Don't Waste Your Cancer" by John Piper - we highly recommend reading it. Love and hugs, Kathy Timmer Durling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely get that book. Thanks for the recommendation from someone who has been down this path.

      Delete
  4. Tom & Brenda-
    Bev and I will be praying as you take this journey. We saw Bev's cancer doctor this week and she declared her cancer free for the 11th year. Every year we are reminded of the fear and questions after we received the news that she had cancer. But with her depending on God's love and grace here we are.
    I know he has a purpose in this and will pray He shows you what it is.
    Love you both, Pastor & Bev Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pastor Kitchen and Bev, Thank you for the encouraging words. We love to hear success stories!

      Delete
  5. Mr. Touchdown, will score again as he crosses the cancer survivor goal line! Go Burr! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I bet this is Bob Benedict. Your support is great and we appreciate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emma C. Nason Children's Home

Living on the Ridge

New Home But An Old Table