Mastering the Art of French Cooking

I gave copies of Mastering the Art of French Cooking-Vol. I & II to my children for Christmas. I also got a copy for myself and the plan is for us to share what works and doesn't work from this cooking classic by Julia Child. I saw the movie Julie and Julia this summer that is based on someone trying to cook through the book and recording her attempts. So this is similar but I want it to be lots of fun. It wasn't so much fun for the girl in the movie.

I had heard that Julia Child's most famous recipe is boeuf bourguinon so I decided to start there. The English title is Beef Stew in Red Wine with Bacon, Onions and Mushrooms. Child describes it as "one of the most delicious beef dishes concocted by man." I would have to agree. It has an intense flavor.

It did take all afternoon to prepare. Tom, Jennifer, Kristen and I enjoyed every bite of it. I served it with boiled potatoes like Child suggested. It was even better reheated the next day. This time I served it with egg noodles and I liked that better.





The next recipe I tried was roast chicken. I served it to a dinner party of Tom, Jennifer and Mike, the guy who bought our house. Roast chicken was more labor-intense requiring basting every 10 - 15 minutes but the results were a very moist and flavorful chicken. I served it with roast red skin potatoes, peas and french rolls. We all enjoyed the meal and the time together.

I'd love to hear from you about what you are cooking even if it isn't French cooking. I'll keep you posted on my attempts throughout the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma C. Nason Children's Home

Living on the Ridge

New Home But An Old Table